Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Treatment has begun

The treatment for APL (for those that haven't linked to the site below) is a combination of chemotherapy and a vitamin A type drug that will go after the source of the problem. Sarah received the first dose of chemo on Sunday afternoon. This first round consists of 4 doses every other day, which means we are waiting for the next dose this very minute. The vitamin A drug (ATRA) began 24 hours prior to the first dose of chemo and will continue throughout the entire treatment regimine (we anticipate it will be at least three months).

We expect her to receive blood and platelet transfusions as the days progress and her cell counts dip pretty low. If you are able and willing to donate blood or platelets please do so. We are extremely grateful for those that donated these necessities that have been instrumental to helping Sarah.

Sarah has yet to feel any side effects and her sisters have big plans for when her hair falls out (if it does). I don't think it's right to say they are excited, but it's nice to know they are ready to step when needed. Her brother, Ben, has already provided hairstyling tips available during the transitional period (he's in the military for those that don't know).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, I hope the treatments go well. I was told that their is a drug that one can take when one is having treatments that reduces the after effects and some of the harshness of the treatments. You probable are already aware of this, but I thought I would pass the idea along. This person did say that this supplimentary drug was not covered by their insurance. Good luck!!! WE are praying for you.

michelle said...

Sarah, I just heard about your diagnosis from Collette. I'm so sorry you have to go through this! And I'm so glad that KC has started this blog. I love your positive attitude and the post you wrote for your students. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Michelle Olivier

Amanda Miller said...

It was good to talk yo you twice this week, I think that is a record for us! Your kids obviously love you very much, and miss you. Let me know if you need any book recommendations, I've read some good ones recently. Love ya!

kkrengel said...

And what's wrong with BALD???

Uncle Rick