Thursday, March 13, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig!

Helllllo! Sarah here, writing to you in my house, in my study, at my computer, with no cat on my lap (I pushed him off...way too demanding for attention while I'm trying to write!)

I came home Saturday afternoon, and enjoyed sitting in a comfortable chair to watch some of the many recorded TV shows I had missed while in the hospital....got to have my Survivor! I'm sure many of you know that joy you have after being away for a long time, of just sitting in your house and looking around with a goofy smile on your face. It was heaven.

Then it was time to go to bed and I realized.....my house has stairs! Drawing on my backpacking memories of tenacity, I climbed my Mt. Whitney one stair at a time, with KC nudging me from behind. After a "quick" shower to wash all the hospital smell off me, that wonderful cloud of a bed never felt so needed. :-)

Each day I feel stronger and can go longer between rests. I continue to tackle the stairs a few times a day, and it felt soooo amazing to wear jeans and a shirt the other day! "Normal" clothes! I'm also loving the fashion of hats...With a long shirt, pants, and a hat, I can pretty much cover up any evidence of chemo. Pretty cool, huh?

One of the things I am most grateful for, is that I get to plan my own days again. I can wake up and make my list (that KC always laughs at) and do the things that I want/need to do on a schedule. (Sigh of comfort) Granted, I don't always get through much of the list, but that's okay. One day at a time. I'm learning to put "sit in chair to rest" and "nap time" on my list more often....that way I get more things checked off!

Friends from the neighborhood have been so supportive in our transition. They think of ways to help before KC and I even have frame of mind to think about them. My friend, Laura, had already coordinated dinners to be coming for us, which relieved KC's responsibilities immensely! He's a great cook, but when he has so many other things on his mind that he is managing....it really has been a blessing for us. "My girls" sent a message of encouragement which touched me deeply, and others have called or briefly stopped by to give a smile and a hug. Great thanks to Donna, who made me a hat to wear to church...I love it! Many thanks also to Brad and his family, who made me some hats which have added greatly to my new sense of style.

Monday I was blessed to see my Hanson nieces, which I've missed so much during this time! Jessie brought her 3 girls over, and we went outside to feel the sunshine! I love the sunshine! We walked around and looked at all the flowers (bulbs) coming up through the ground, talked to the dogs, and played a small version of soccer. I was amazed how they energized me! KC kept quietly asking, "You okay?" I was excited to just smile, and respond, "Yep." It was a wonderful visit.

On Tuesday, KC and I braved my "first" outting. We went up to my parents' house for dinner and a sleepover. It was immensely enjoyable to sit and tell stories and laugh it up family-style. My two other sisters, Amy and Kat (with fiance Cory), also came to share in the fun at dinner. It was very enjoyable! While there, we even got to talk on Skype to KC's parents and on the phone to our Fleming nephews. They kept asking, "When do we get to see you?" KC and I kept thinking, "Oh, if only they knew how much we wanted to see them!" My Uncle Rick called also, and it was great fun talking with him. We are so blessed to have an amazing, loving, and close family.

So, for the next few days I'll be sitting a lot, tackling stairs and other activities that strengthen my muscles again, taking alllllll my medications, reading, writing, and realizing how clumsy I am at wii. KC keeps stifling his laughter as he encourages me......but we'll see. Brennan was right, it sure is helping my muscles and hand-eye coordination improve! (I'm sure a toddler could do better than me at some of these games!) I'm so very grateful for this fun way to improve!

As for the update on my cancer, I go into day-surgery on Wednesday (19th) for my next bone biopsy, and then on Friday (21st) I meet with my oncologist to discuss the next steps in my treatment. They'll also be doing blood-work, etc. In the past, he has indicated that the next 3-4 months are dedicated to treatments and sending me into remission (hopefully permanent), but until then, I don't really know much except to eat well and get strong. I'm trying to get an appetite back still, but small nibbles here and there seem to help. So, just know I'm taking it one day at a time, because I've learned a lot can happen in one day!

Enjoy each moment of this beautiful spring weather, and thank you again for all the jokes, laughter, smiles, and inspiration. May God bless you for all the love and support you share.

Lots of love to ya!

~Sarah

13 comments:

Krengel Oakes said...

So exciting to hear that you're back home! I love keeping up-to-date on how things are going through this site ... got to love your students' comments, make me laugh as a fellow teacher :~) I also wanted to let you know that your winning battle/spirit inspired my class to help in our school's Leukemia/Lymphnomia (SP??) Society's Pennies for Patients drive. Get this ... my group of Title I kiddies raised $345 in 3 weeks!! They were SO excited to have brought in so much money. Keep up the R&R, and can't wait for the next set of good news. Love ya babe! ~Kirstin

Sandra said...

So glad to hear from you back at home! I will try to call you next week so I can pick a good time to come by and see you!! Keep on making those lists and just tackle one thing at a time! (And I'm absolutely no good at the Wii either...I give my kids comic relief when they convince me to play!)

Chelle! said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself. Yea!! I am glad that you are home. Like I have said so many times when referring to you--YOU ARE AMAZING!!! We miss you at our camp meetings. I hope you are able to return soon. When you need something to do, I have a list. Sarah, I am so glad you are doing so GREAT!!!

Ken and Kayleen said...

Hey, don't let K.C. laugh at you for making lists. That's why Dad marriage me--because I made lists and was organized. K.C. watched me do that all his years at home. Maybe that's why he married you!! No, there are too many other reasons for that like you are beautiful, tender, loving, joyful, and you laugh at his jokes! I'll so proud of you for following orders and going slowly on your list. Your recovery will be much faster if you continue to give your body the rest your wisdom directs. We loved talking to you (and seeing you)on Skype Tuesday. What a surprising treat. And you looked FABULOUS!! Now we just can't wait to see you a week from now for real. We love you and pray for you always. Mom & Dad Scott

The Scotts said...

I'm so glad to hear you are doing good. We wish we could come and see you. It sounds like you are taking it easy. GOOD! I make lists all the time, it's the only way I can remember anything anymore. Keep up the resting, naps, lists, and spirit. We love you tons. The boys say keep up the wii practice. They can't wait to play you :)

Fleming Family said...

I'm so glad to hear your life is back to "normal". Each little step is such a relief! I've been talking to my friend here who went through Chemo and she said that the first round hits your body the hardest and it seems to get better after that. Her husband said it helps to have something to look forward to, so remember we'll be there in August...I know it's a long way away, but it's something I'm looking forward to imensely!

Thanks for the call! It was great to talk to you and the boys didn't want to be done talking. We love you so much. Tyler, probably Monday, during dinner prayer aked for you to start to get better. I hadn't yet informed them you had gone home. Their eyes became as big as Kiwi when they heard you were back at home. A few "yays" and hand claps were part of the excitement also. They sure love you and keep you in their thoughts and prayers. We all love you so much! Have a fantastic day full of wonderfully small steps one after another!

Love and hugs!

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denise said...

KC doesn’t need to cook, just drive to Wendy’s for your combo meal! Glad to hear you’re home and doing well. Keep us up-to-date. Let me know when you're up to having visits.

michelle said...

I'm so glad that you're home, Sarah! Being in the hospital gets old so fast, I can't imagine being in there for weeks... A Survivor marathon sounds like just the ticket for a return home celebration.

Good luck with the stairs. I love making lists and I love checking things off even more, so I would definitely write in frequent rests!

Gina said...

Sarah, it was good to see you last night. I hope you continue to get your strength back... your spirit certainly hasn't faltered... you are as energetic as ever!

Call if you need me. I'll stop in again.

Amber said...

i was so jealous when mr.; ingram said you were at school i was so mad email meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE NEED TO TALK MAJOR

Anonymous said...

I hope your bone biopsy went well today. I got caught up with your posts and am so glad you are home. I think about and pray for you often. Love, Collette

Anonymous said...

Helloooooo from Qatar!

Well, you and K.C. been through quite the roller coaster ride this last month! What a great attitude you are keeping, Sarah. We love you and pray for you always. I'm glad you get to go outside and see springtime in Utah. If you were here in Qatar you would just get to walk out and look at all the beige buildings, beige sand, beige cars, beige camels, etc. etc. We have begun to call Qatar "Beige World!" Keep on keeping on. God bless you both. Love, Aunt Melany