Friday, March 7, 2008

Grateful It's Leap Year!

Well, it's a good thing it's leap year, because my improvement has been making LEAPS and bounds. Get it? I know, pretty corny. But, when you're in the same room most the day, some things seem a bit funny that aren't really so. ;-)

I have tons of good news to report. Let me start with yesterday (Thursday). My counts were up to a mask-free level, so KC and I were able to take walks around the floor without me having to breathe in my wonderful breath each pant. Boy, the walks were so much more pleasant! My apologies to the visitors who have gotten close enough to me to know what I'm talking about. To those who did not experience this joy....believe me. You are blessed. Needless to say, it was wonderful to see the familiar sights without my glasses fogging up.

Now for today's news (Friday). I am now a free woman! I have no more tubes attached to my arm; or as my oncologist says, "The umbilical cord has been severed." I find it funny how quickly we get into habits, because for some reason I still look for all my "leashes" each time I get out of bed, and think how I'm going to maneuver around the side table between me and my destination. Just shows ya... you better be careful which habits you pick-up, huh.

Also, I was informed that I GET TO GO HOME TOMORROW!!!!!!! Wow! How cool is that? So, I spent today doing my checklists of lasts....this is my last shower here, this is the last time I get clean sheets here, this is the last time you will poke my finger for a blood sugar test, this is the last time I DON'T sleep on MY bed! It was great. The nurses and PCT's were wonderful to celebrate with me all day. Many came in to wish me well and warned me they only wanted to see me again at the grocery store, or as a visitor...it was a little bitter sweet. They have cared for me so well, both physically and mentally. They definitely live up to their name as the "7th Heaven Angels" (we are on the 7th floor); so if you're planning to be in the hospital (do people really do that?), I highly recommend this staff. The food ain't bad, either.

KC and I also got to have a lunch date down in the cafeteria thanks to the staff giving us a coupon for a free meal. I have to say, it was quite overwhelming to be in a room with more than 5 people total, but it was great just sitting and watching people interact. I was very excited to have a salad, because I haven't been able to eat fresh produce for the last month due to bacteria precautions. It was so fresh and yummy! I admit, I'm sure I looked a bit funny chewing, as I still have mouth sores, but it was deliciouso! KC enjoyed a moment of my first sip of Sprite in the last month, as well. Apparently, I was quite comical. I now know what my nephews and nieces mean when they call it the "stingy drink". Yep, definitely bubbly and "stingy"!

I also got to talk to many of my dearest friends today, which made my heart sing. I think my dad said it best, when he commented that relationships are what this life is all about. He's pretty smart.

I thank you for all of your relationships with me, for they are all cherished. My heart has been filled with so much love; I am very blessed and thank you and God for that. I guess I get to add another last to my list today, for this is the last blog from the hospital! I will write next from my chair at my computer in my study in my house with my cat on my lap. Isn't life great?

Have a great week, and enjoy whatever comes your way. Love you all.

~Sarah

16 comments:

Fleming Family said...

Sarah, that is just wonderful! Congratulations on such a quick recovery! Talk about HUGE leaps and bounds!

Now you can enjoy Fin and Gabbie, Binx and Chewy, your probably dead garden because of the season, YOUR bed, your computer with all your Simms (I'm sure they missed you tremedously), more fresh veggies and salads, and maybe even some Taco Bell!

Once again, I sure wish I were there to welcome you home. I love you and K.C. so much! I miss our gaming and movie nights!! I miss you guys!

Enjoy all the things we all take for granted every day! Love you!

Tiff said...

That's wonderful news Sarah! I am glad you get to go home. Enjoy your weekend!

Amanda Miller said...

Yahoo! Hope to see you soon!

Ken and Kayleen said...

Hip, hip, hurray!!! This is one giant LEAP for womankind - or is that aa very "kind woman"? BOTH!!! We're soooo happy for you! Enjoy every 'last' and every 'again' moment at home. Isn't it amazing how quickly the body can respond to medical care and to prayer? We look forward to hearing more of your continued improvement. Love and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Sarah! We are so thrilled that you are finally getting to come home and I am sure you and KC are far more than overjoyed to be coming home also! I am very glad that your counts are doing so well and that you are recovering as well as you are. Your blog is very wonderful and we have enjoyed peeking in on you and checking on your progress. You have been in our thoughts and prayers continuously and you and KC will continue to be there.
the fife's

The Scotts said...

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!
We are so excited that you are finally going home. How nice will it be to sleep in your OWN bed. It makes such a difference. We are so glad you are feeling better. Now, just because you are home doesn't mean you can over do it. Take it easy. K.C. make sure she does :) Love the new do, you look fabulous!

We love you

Sandra said...

I'm so excited you're able to go home! I will try and come visit you soon. Enjoy the little things!

Anonymous said...

So good to talk to you yesterday! The line was LONG and impatient once they found out it was you on the phone. We sure do miss you! How wonderful that you get to go home. That should really boost your spirits. You and KC are always in our prayers. Now keep us in your prayers that we can finish all the math units before the CRTs! Love you tons!!! Barbie Sue

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
E. Vanhille said...

What wonderful news!!! We are so happy for you. Thanks for the blog and keeping us posted. We will continue to think of you and Kc as you continue to heal. Let the love continue to flow your way so you can make a full recovery.
Love...Later....The Vanhilles

Chelle! said...

YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!! I am screaming with delight!!! I am so excited for you!!! Your own bed, your own home, your own everything--how exciting is that? Oh, Sarah, you are amazing!!! YEAH!!!! You are taking HUGE LEAPS & BOUNDS!!! SIMPLY FABULOUS!!!! Welcome back to the Stake.

Denise said...

Hey, I just found out you had a blogspot! Congrats on all the good news, glad to hear it! We’ve been busy having another cute baby. I can’t wait to introduce you to Jonathan David Jr. (David). He looks just like the male version of Brooklyn. I didn’t realize you were inpatient, or I would have come and visited you. After having little (9lbs 1 oz 21 ½ long) David, we had a scare when both babies were admitted on the peds unit. Brooklyn was in peds ICU and David just on the regular wing. E-mail me when you have a second so we can catch up.

michelle said...

Hooray! Hooray for all the hospital lasts. Hooray for going home, sleeping in your own bed, eating salad again, blogging with a cat on your lap. Congratulations!

Gina said...

So happy you got to go home! We need to come over! Keep on enjoying the little things. Thanks for the reminder of that.

Anonymous said...

Holly guacamoly! (Or should I say Holly Halitosis!) So glad to hear you are home! There is only one thing I can think of that is as nice as sitting in a chair petting a cat and that is loving my grandson. I am sure your cat will enjoy you being home as much as yourself. We are thinking of you often here, especially at lunch. I miss your laugh and your possitive outlook each day. Please know you are in our prayers every day. Let me know when your ready for a spin in a golf cart? I have a great ball we can use! Love ya tons!

Anonymous said...

Speling is such an impotant subjekt! I notised I speled holy incorektaly, sary. Won't it be fun to have something to teese me abowt?