Friday, April 24, 2009

Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal....boring conversation, anyway. ---Han Solo

Han Solo: [sounding official] Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.
Voice: What happened?
Han Solo: [getting nervous] Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
Voice: We're sending a squad up.
Han Solo: Uh, uh... negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.
Voice: Who is this? What's your operating number?
Han Solo: Uh... [Han shoots the intercom]
Han Solo: [muttering] Boring conversation, anyway.
*********************************************************************************
Today I met up with Amber in the lunch line, and her usual enthusiasm bubbled over; "You wrote on your blog! Great job!" (Love that girl!)
"I did?" Now, I know my memory isn't so great most days, but surely I would remember crossing off an accomplishment off my list... "Are you sure?"
"I think so... maybe your husband did it for you?"
Now my curiosity was peaked. I found myself quickly at the computer once I got home to verify the facts. 1) No, my awesome husband did not moonlight as me, and 2) my list was not behind in its crossed-out undertakings... but now I'm here and motivated! Thank you, Amber!

To get the medical update out of the way, my treatments continue, fatigue is an interesting companion, I can't brag about my care at the clinic enough, love the pain meds, thank you for all the compliments on my hair, and I'm extremely humbled and blown away by the love people share. I think I love Han's answer the best: situation normal, and it's a boring conversation anyway! So, on to the fun things of life!

MARCH: Twilight party!
Of course I had to celebrate the DVD release! My amazing friend, Amanda, and I went to the midnight release together. She is true friendship. To love someone enough to not laugh too much at their wierd obsession, to stand by them while your ankle is KILLING you, and to still have a great time... that woman is my hero. It was awesomeness to the definition.

The next night my sisters all came over for a "viewing". But, the Krengel in me wouldn't let it just be a simple "Let's watch the DVD we've already memorized". Oh no. My dad (and mom?) even made a trivia game so I could give away the "golden onion" award. (movie reference, if you are lost).

Of course the downstairs was decorated for ambiance. We also ate a meal similar to what Bella and Edward ate on the "night of revelations", and then we turned into little kids with our party gifts of baseballs-the great American sport. Ummm..... we had A LOT of girly fun!
APRIL: The Easter that lasted a month; the pleasures of California!
Holidays are definitely cuter with little girls running around in spring dresses, or little boys running so fast they are tripping over themselves to find eggs filled with dentists' nightmares! We were soo lucky to spend Easter time with many of our family. The games and just "time" were a true gift. Oh, and we did pay homage to the Haufbrou and the IN & OUT shrines.... several times. Such good food! Seriously.





OVERALL INSPIRATIONS: The last few months have been very inspiring and motivational.
Conference is always one of my favorite times of the year, and as always I was transformed spiritually by the messages, wisdom, and testimonies shared. Now I just need my physical transformation to catch up! Sometimes this body can be a much slower learner...

If you know me, you know I love my job. If you know me, you know I love hiking in the mountains. These two passions met at a leadership conference I was lucky to attend. I met Erik Weihenmayer! "Who's that?" you say? Probably one of the coolest people in the world. I think he's made my top 17. Of the highest summits on each continent, he's climbed 7 of them. Oh, and he's blind! He was amazingly inspirational in his presentation. I wrote copious notes, and have been reading some nonfiction-inspirational books since. What can I say? It's my new thing for now. My mom has always had the mantra that "We are pioneers", and she truly is one. Erik shared many ideas on the pioneering spirit that really struck a chord with me. Here's some paraphrased notes:
Pioneers understand that life is one continuous cycle of reaching out through our fears.
How do you enter a storm and not only emerge unscathed, but stronger?
Is there a coorelation between being a pioneer and adversity?
They don't find a way despite the storm, but because of it.

I also loved Erik's thoughts on being "modern alchemists". These are people that take what they are given, and no matter what it is, they turn it into something of greater value. I want to be that kind of a person. That inspires me. So, sorry jedi's and hobbits; my path is one of an alchemist.


P.S. You have to know, my tenacious mom suggested maybe a pioneering alchemist? I'm thinking about that... but that's an incredible set of parameters. Maybe when I reach alchemist, I can move on to pioneering alchemist....."small moves, Ellie, small moves".

The rest of my times are peppered (or is it salted? How about "well seasoned"?) with inspirational moments with the people I see each day: a nephew feeling the excitement of learning something new, a friend's arm around the shoulder and a shared chuckle, a father taking care of his beloved wife, a mother putting on a happy face even when it hurts, the miracle of tulips, a morning talk to start the day with a laugh, a child's joy in success after a lot of trying, a forwarded email that puts Hallmark to shame, the return of love from family members...the list could truly keep going.... KC and I say it often; we get to witness an amazing life.

Lastly, inspiration isn't always something to tug the heartstrings. Sometimes it's just motivating. So, for those of us who are struggling with one thing or another and the warm fuzzies just don't do it for us today, I'll end with another inspirational person's words: "If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Winston Churchill.

Good luck today. May your conversations be anything but boring!
Over and Out.

3 comments:

Fleming Family said...

I love you! You are already an alchemist! This post really made me miss you guys!! When I drive through over the summer I'm going to see if we can make it to all the family...we miss you both so much!! Derek, last night, said he loved Utah the most because it had our blue house and Uncle KC and Aunt Sarah!! That was comparing all the places we've lived! We love you!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are going well!

So I'll be in UT most of the summer - we should totally plan (in no particular order)
1) Wii
2) Food
3) A HS reunion

I'll call when I'm back in the MotherShip.

Amanda Miller said...

You are the best ever! I don't know how I would have made it through the school year this year without ya! Thanks for the fun phone calls in the morning, game night, and superfun midnight activities. Yes there were two!