Monday, November 10, 2008

"The world's a mess, and I just need to...Rule it!"

Thank you, Dr. Horrible! Gotta love those quotes.

So, how about that Election!?! Wow. History in the making. "And that's all I have to say about that..." Thank you, Forrest.

I promised to update after my last doctor's appointment, so here it is. My numbers stayed about the same as last month (statistically speaking), meaning that my platelets are still low, but my immune system and blood cells are okay. Darn; no football practice for me! I guess I'll have to put my dreams aside for a while. (hehe)

After some consultation with the Doc, we decided to not worry about another bone marrow biopsy yet. If more leukemia starts happening, we should see it in the bloodwork. So, we started the maintenance stage of my protocol. This includes weekly shots of chemo, daily pills of another chemo, and then my 2 weeks of ATRA pills every 3 months. I do bloodwork every week and see the doctor every other week, so I'm being monitored very well. "My" clinic is amazing; truly.
I braced myself for the rollercoaster, but it actually hasn't been that bad. As long as the drugs don't build-up in my system, and the effects are on a sort of plateau, then no worries. I can do this for the next year or so. The real struggle is keeping a mindset of simplicity!

A favorite night was Halloween, when I was able to talk to almost EVERY niece and nephew. So cool! My favorite quote of the night was from Michelle, who asked something like:
"Aunt Sarah, is your hair still brown and all spikey, or is it back yet?"
I got quite the chuckle. I might define it as fuzzy verses spikey, and my apologies for any misquote. Love ya, Michelle!

I had great plans of creating a Halloween costume so I could be "procrastination", but unfortunately it came to fruition instead of an actual costume. Oh well. Maybe I'll do it next year... Seriously, I did not plan that.
Another amazing day was when KC and I took the dogs for a small walk in the canyon. We clocked the distance by car afterwards...2 miles. TWO MILES!!! That may sound not very far for all you athletic folks out there, but compared to what I've been able to do the last 9 months...I felt like Superwoman! It totally boosted my ego.



Not much else to report... we've been witness to much good news and recovered health to many of our family members and friends. That creates lots of smiles on our faces! KC and I send our love out to you all. Enjoy these coming holidays!
~Sarah





8 comments:

michelle said...

It's good to hear that things are going well with you, Sarah. A 2-mile walk! So great.

Thanks for the update.

The Scotts said...

You are Wonder Woman. I just took up running and I can only go for about 3 minutes before I need to stop! I'm working on it :) Thank you for the update, we can't wait to see you guys in December. We LOVE you!

Klin said...

Good news.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Chelle! said...

YEA!!! I am glad that you got to get out and go for a walk. You are amazing. I agree that you are Wonder Woman!!!

Leatha said...

Great news! Happy to know you are doing well.

Fleming Family said...

You walked farther than I could have without complaint! I'm so glad you are able to continue life a bit easier than before! Oh, and by the way...it's only 5 days now!!!!! WOOHOO!! Thanks for your call, I was at Time Out For Women, sorry I had to send you to voice mail. :( LOVE YOU!!

Denise said...

Good news! My favorite quote from Halloween came from 2 teenage girls who came to my door while I was practicing the piano. They thought I was purposely playing spooky music (it was actually a Negro spiritual), and when I opened the door they exclaimed, "This is the coolest house EVER!" It took my a few minutes to make the connection because I was only giving out Laffy Taffy. Perhaps next year I'll really plan some spooky piano tunes!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I absolutley loved your Halloween costume it gave me a great chuckle! i am glad to hear your report!
Love,
Amber Hirchak